Episode Description: Bluey and Bingo want a pet. To show them how much work they’d be in for, Dad transforms his hand into their old friend Shaun, a chaotic, undisciplined Emu with a taste for trouble.
- There are lots of pretend play variations you can do on taking care of a pet, whether you’re in the role, another child or a stuffed toy. Perhaps if you have any plastic “pets” the kids can give them a “bath” in the tub/sink/bucket outside.
- You could also make a “Shaun” hand puppet. Depending on your resources and skill level you could:
While none of those links are specifically for emus, I’m sure you can get creative – maybe you have some feathers lying around from playing Featherwand?
- Can’t get enough emu art? Learn how to draw an emu and read along with Edward or Edwina the Emu on YouTube.
- Learn more about emus and other Australian birds from the Australian Museum website.
- Go deeper into the history of Australia’s first people by reading parts of Young Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe – purchase it here from an indigenous publisher. The website Teachers Pay Teachers have lesson plans to go along with the book for just $3.
- Don’t forget to go outside and go for walkies! The “Shaun” in your family may need a lesson on what’s not appropriate to touch outside but you can still bring your own frisbee or stick to play “fetch”.
- If you don’t have a lead or collar for your pet, learn how to sew your own!